Thursday, November 11, 2010

There's Something I have to tell you Mama...

It isn't a secret that my little girl loves to converse.  She has been included in our conversations since day one so contributing her ideas is norm for her.  That's why I am stunned to report that during this week's cooking lesson, I hardly heard a peep out of her.

I tried asking questions such as "Do you have any questions about what we are doing today?"  OR  "How was the art activity today at Kindergarten?"  OR  "Did you gals plan what's happening at the birthday party this weekend?"

Nothing.

except this...."this is a one cup right momma?"

and this...."I'm doing everything today ok?"

And that's exactly what she did.  She searched out the measuring tools, scooped, levelled, stirred, whisked, separated egg yolks from egg whites, cleaned up her spills and even managed the stove top (under close supervision!!).  The only thing I did was pour the hot liquid.

And all the while there was a running dialogue happening outloud and inward (I saw it in her eyes).  It went something like this "ok, I need to move my stool", "I want a 1, no dash on the handle" (referring to her search for a 1 cup measure), "don't break the yolk, don't break the yolk, don't break the yolk...phew!"

No wonder we couldn't have chatter today. She was in charge, she was planning, she was working, she was creating and she was learning.  No time for distraction today.

As we sat silently drinking our wonderful healthy version of hot chocolate, my chatter box turned to me and said "There's something I have to tell you Mama,  *pause, *pause, I think I need to have more."








This healthy version of hot chocolate was adapted from The Eat Clean Book for Families and Kids by Tosca Reno.  I substituted agave nectar for coconut sugar, but unpasturized honey would do just as well.  Of course all ingredients are organically raised  :)

Happy noshing,

Cheers all!
Stacey Haley
http://www.foodkin.ca/

No comments:

Post a Comment