Monday, September 13, 2010

Homemade Lemonade

Eden was soooo excited about planning for the next cooking class she actually developed the plan for the next 3 lessons.....did I mention she's 5?  So much for kids being "in the moment" more than being able to look ahead.

This particular lesson was dedicated to homemade lemonade.  I asked her why she chose this idea and she said "many of my television friends sell lemonade in their yards to make money and I want to buy the toy I listed first on my wish list for my toys, so I want to sell lemonade."

For anyone who underestimates the thought processes of children and believes they are impulsive at best...I beg to differ!!  haha  They indeed can be and will be planners when left to problem solve their issues.  Of course being left to problem solve includes letting the child experience the discomfort of having to satisfy their needs over time rather than immediately.  I find many of us choose to ensure our children are always happy or satisfied and within reason this is a sound practice, however, removing the ability to create self coping skills which inevitably lead to the development of problem solving skills, we are not allowing our children to develop a positive sense of self...their self esteem.

It wasn't even a thought for Eden to demand the toy or beg for the toy she's thinking of.  She became a problem solver, the solution makes sense (if it didn't we'd work together to refine it), and her sense of accomplishment will be huge once she receives money for her efforts.

Of course there will be some hurdles such as weather and the possibility of not making enough money but these will turn out to be great life lessons that will extend the need to problem solve and to possibly work together as a team.  Like teachers always promote.......ask for help!

I hope to update y'all soon on our results.  For now though, here are some pics of our trial batch of healthy lemonade!  The consenses was it tasted great, but mommy however decided there's got to be an easier way!!!!  LOL






No comments:

Post a Comment